Wednesday 5 August 2015

Gerwyn Price 24 Gram Darts Review


With my game not improving as much as I would like, I thought it was time to acquire a lighter set of darts to see if it would make a difference to my overall average. I searched online for the best 24 gram darts I could find (2 grams lighter than my usual arrows) and I stumbled upon a set of Gerwyn Price's darts. With 'The Iceman' being fresh off the back of a great World Matchplay run where he reached the Quarter Finals beating both Michael Smith and Adrian Lewis along the way, I thought 'why not' and went ahead with this set. Here is what I thought of them:

What You Get:
- x3 darts per set ( 24 grams)
- x1 set of White Hardcore Extra Thick Flights
- x1 set of Team Red Dragon Poly Metronic Standard Flights
- x1 set of aluminium short Razor Edge blue & silver
- x1 set of aluminium medium black Red Dragon laser etched
- x1 Leather Red Dragon wallet
- 1 year Guarantee Card

Darts Specification
- 85% Tungsten Alloy
- Dimensions: 6.8mm x 50.8mm
- Thread: 2BA


Red Dragon's efficiency was evident as usual with the darts arriving to my door in 2 working days and it was straight to the practice board. After just a few minutes of throwing I knew something wasn't right and I quickly worked out that the extra short stems were the problem, but a quick change to the longer set provided in the wallet corrected this instantly. The set up of short stems clearly works for Gerwyn himself, so its down to the individual's style of throw to determine which would suit them better but it's definitely worth experimenting with.


When I first saw the darts, I was impressed with how good they looked. They didn't exactly catch my eye during The World Matchplay on television, but when they are actually in your hand they really are spectacular looking darts and the grip towards the back of the barrel has a nice zig-zag design, which resembles ice, a clever touch from Red Dragon.

Behind the ice design towards the back of the barrel, there are two rings of sharp grip and another 4 of these rings towards the front, this is the reason Red Dragon give the darts a grip rating of 4 (1=Smooth and 5=Aggressive), just perfect in my opinion .The darts are weighted towards the centre of the dart and rounded at the front and the surface is finished off with a polished look.


I decided then to put these darts to the test. I played 5 legs of darts with my standard darts (Robert Thornton's 26 Grams) then 5 legs with my new sets of tungsten. After the first session I managed a relatively normal 51 average with 5/16 checkout rate. The second session where I used the Gerwyn Price darts produced a 54 average and exactly the same checkout rate 5/16, not a massive improvement but definitely a step in the right direction. This evidence was enough to encourage me to use them more and I have now been practising with these arrows for the last week.

Overall I think the Gerwyn Price darts are very nice without too many complex details which means that it wouldn't be a risk to buy these darts. They have improved my game slowly, but slow progress is better than no progress so I would recommend them to anyone looking for a new dart.



1 comment:

  1. This is a long shot but...If you still have these darts will i be able to purchase them?

    ReplyDelete